Monday, November 2, 2009





Classic Recipe for Acorn Squash
It has been some time since I visited our local farmers market. So I decided to do just that. The Leesburg Market, located in Leesburg
Lake County is held every Sat. from 8 am till 1.00 pm and located on Main street downtown. There is always a nice crowd of folks
enjoying the many different vendors and their products. With the added pleasure of live local entertainment coupled with a friendly atmosphere it's easy to find yourself in a relaxed mood.

My mission today though was produce so I found myself at the stand of 44 Produce. A local marketeer with a fine selection of veggies and fruit. 44 Produce has been in the area for several years and has a permanent road side stand located on Highway 44,
about a mile past Radio Road. Their vegetables and fruit always look hand picked with care and have excellent presentation. It is family owned and they are very willing to help you with any questions you might have. As I looked around I decided to purchase some Acorn Squash and Zucchini.


Personally I have never prepared or eaten acorn squash before. Even though I have found it to be intriguing in shape, color and size, similar to a gourd. So today I went for it. The folks at the stand didn't mind a bit in sharing how to prepare and cook this squash. It definitely sounded like something I could handle so I headed back home with my treasures and readied myself for a first time ever adventure of acorn squash as for the zucchini well that's like an old friend and we will definitely meet up later in the week.

The recipe in case you too have never tried this particular type of squash goes something like this.

Take one Acorn squash and cut in half Scrap out the seed section. Now add a pad of butter or margarine to both halves
Sprinkle well with brown sugar,
May also add some maple syrup if so desired
Add just a pinch of cinnamon to both halves, I found it really helped bring it all together.
Salt as desired
Now place in the oven on a pie pan and bake uncovered at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes

When the outer skins of the squash are soft they are done.
Serve them up just as they are.



Acorn Squash in my honest opinion has a very unique flavor compared to other types of squash, maybe it isn't for everyone, but I found it to be a delightful
change. We welcome your comments on this unique squash.






No comments: